Founded in 1990, the “Friends”, also known as a citizens support organization (CSO) is a 501[C] 3 non-profit corporation whose function is to generate and employ additional resources and support for and in the best interest of John D. MacArthur Beach State Park. This is done through providing special work projects, special events and programs, community outreach programs, educational activities, guided tours and communications, special exhibits, interpretive programs, fund raising activities and events or any activity which is designed to meet the additional needs of the park.
The Friends of MacArthur Beach State Park has a mission of generating supplemental resources to preserve, restore, and interpret the natural and cultural assets of the Park for present and future generations.
Awards & Accomplishments
Growing from a small group of concerned individuals to a force of over 3000 members, the Friends has been recognized for their remarkable work:
- 2015 CSO/Park Short Term Project of the Year awarded for development of a new curriculum, Student Stewards: A Focus on Water Resources
- 2015 CSO/Park Long Term Project of the Year awarded for ongoing Natural Science Education Programs
- 2014 Natural Science Education Team selected as Florida State Parks Volunteer Team of the Year
- 2014 Pine Jog Environmental Education Green Gala Award Winner for “Environmental Education Program of the Year”
- 2014 President’s Call to Service Award presented to Past President Ted Thoburn
- 2013 President’s Call to Service Award presented to Past President Stephanie Pew
- 2012 Pine Jog Environmental Education Green Gala Award Nominee for “Environmental Education Program of the Year”
- 2010, the Friends became a Business Partner with the Palm Beach County School District.
- 2010, the Friends were awarded the State of Florida Outstanding CSO of the Year Award.
- 2008, the State of Florida awarded the Friends the Outstanding CSO Award for Capital Campaign.
The Friends of MacArthur Beach State Park has a staff of professionals who provide programs and services.